Bulawayo is the second largest city in Zimbabwe and is located in the south-western part of the country. It is the capital of the Matabeleland region and is known for its rich cultural heritage and vibrant nightlife.
The city was founded in 1894 by the Ndebele King Lobengula and was originally called ‘KoBulawayo’, meaning ‘the place of slaughter’. It was the site of a major battle between the Ndebele and the British South Africa Company in 1893.
Today, Bulawayo is a bustling city with a population of over 1.5 million people. It is a major industrial and commercial centre, and is home to a number of large companies and factories. The city is also a major tourist destination, with many attractions including the National Museum of Zimbabwe, the Khami Ruins, and the Matobo National Park.
Bulawayo is known for its vibrant nightlife, with a variety of bars, clubs, and restaurants. It is also home to a number of cultural events, including the Bulawayo Arts Festival and the Bulawayo International Jazz Festival.
The city is well connected by road, rail, and air, and is a popular destination for both domestic and international tourists. It is also a major transport hub, with a number of bus and train services connecting it to other cities in Zimbabwe and neighbouring countries.
Bulawayo is a vibrant and exciting city, with a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant nightlife. It is a great destination for tourists looking to explore the history and culture of Zimbabwe.
Best places to visit in Bulawayo
- Khami Ruins National Monument
- Matobo National Park
- Mzilikazi Arts and Crafts Centre
- Natural History Museum of Zimbabwe
- Khami Prison Museum
- Bulawayo Railway Museum
- Chipangali Wildlife Orphanage
- Khami River
- Amakhosi Cultural Centre
- Khami Dam
Best season to visit Bulawayo
The best time to visit Bulawayo is during the dry season, which runs from May to October. During this time, temperatures are mild and the skies are clear, making it the perfect time to explore the city.
Activities can be performed in Bulawayo
- Visit the Natural History Museum of Zimbabwe
- Explore the Matobo Hills National Park
- Take a tour of the Khami Ruins National Monument
- Enjoy a day at the Bulawayo Railway Museum
- Visit the Khami Craft Market
- Take a walk around the Mzilikazi Arts and Crafts Centre
- Visit the Bulawayo City Hall
- Take a stroll around the Centenary Park
- Enjoy a game of golf at the Bulawayo Golf Club
- Explore the National Botanic Gardens