Krems an der Donau is a city located in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. It is situated at the confluence of the Danube and Krems rivers, and is the fifth-largest city in Lower Austria. The city has a long and rich history, and is known for its many cultural attractions, such as its historic old town, numerous museums, and its vibrant nightlife.
Krems an der Donau was first mentioned in 830 AD, and was an important trading center during the Middle Ages. The city was the site of several battles during the Thirty Years War, and was the birthplace of the famous Austrian composer Franz Schubert. In the 19th century, the city was an important industrial center, and many of its historic buildings date from this period.
Today, Krems an der Donau is a popular tourist destination, and is known for its many cultural attractions. The city’s old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is home to numerous historic buildings, such as the Gothic St. Veit’s Cathedral and the Baroque Minorite Church. The city is also home to several museums, such as the Kunstmeile Krems, which showcases contemporary art, and the Kunsthalle Krems, which is dedicated to modern art.
Krems an der Donau is also known for its vibrant nightlife, with numerous bars, clubs, and restaurants. The city is home to several music festivals, such as the Donauinselfest, which is one of the largest open-air music festivals in Europe.
Krems an der Donau is a great destination for those looking to explore Austria’s culture and history. With its many attractions, the city is sure to provide an unforgettable experience.
Best places to visit in Krems an der Donau
- Stift Göttweig
- Kunsthalle Krems
- Wachau Valley
- Kremser Sand
- Steiner Tor
- Kremser Stadtpark
- Kremser Altstadt
- Kremser Schlossberg
- Donau-Auen National Park
Best season to visit Krems an der Donau
The best time to visit Krems an der Donau is during the summer months of June, July, and August. The weather is warm and sunny, and the days are long, making it the perfect time to explore the city and its surroundings. The city is also home to many festivals and events during the summer months, so there is plenty to do and see.
Activities can be performed in Krems an der Donau
- Take a Cruise on the Danube River: Enjoy the stunning scenery of the Wachau Valley as you cruise along the Danube River
- Visit the Kunstmeile Krems: Explore the many art galleries and museums located in the Kunstmeile Krems
- Explore the Old Town: Wander through the cobblestone streets of the Old Town and admire the beautiful architecture
- Visit the Stift Göttweig: Explore the impressive Benedictine Abbey of Stift Göttweig, located on a hilltop overlooking the Danube
- Go Wine Tasting: Sample some of the local wines from the Wachau Valley and learn about the region’s winemaking traditions
- Take a Hike: Enjoy the stunning scenery of the Wachau Valley as you hike along the Danube River
- Visit the Donaupark: Spend a day at the Donaupark, a large park located on the banks of the Danube River
- Visit the Nibelungen Museum: Learn about the history of the Nibelungenlied, an epic poem from the Middle Ages, at the Nibelungen Museum
- Go Shopping: Explore the many shops and boutiques located in the Old Town
- Enjoy the Nightlife: Enjoy the lively nightlife of Krems an der Donau with its many bars, clubs, and restaurants